Saturday, January 12, 2013

Observations Part 1

After living here for over a week I've discovered many differences, but even subtle ones that you may not hear about. But first, a quick update about me, my registration got fixed and I've been to all my classes. Things are going well but it is definitely very different from the US. This brings me to my first observation...the way that classes are run.

In the UK most classes have a lecture and then a seminar or workshop with smaller groups. This isn't totally foreign since many larger colleges at home have this system. However, one major difference is the way they grade. Most classes only have 1 or 2 assignments throughout the whole term and that is their grade for the whole class. They also grade by going up from 0 instead of down from 100 in the US. Therefore, if you get a 70 or higher you get an A, and if you get higher than an 80 you should be teaching the class. This is something I'll definitely have to get used to.

Also, they have 3 terms and the third term is devoted simply to finals for both the first and second terms. I don't know how people do it but they actually take finals for classes that they took 5 months before. However, a lot of classes are also full year courses so I guess that helps. Personally, I'm happy I don't have to do it though.

Another thing I have to get used to is the partying over here because that is really different. People go out on different nights of the week than in the US. It's not just the weekend they look forward to. The school even held a huge club-like party on Wednesday. Random! But then Thursday was completely quiet and no one was doing anything. I'm still trying to figure it out so I'll let you know if I ever figure out the pattern.

Now, here are some random things I've noticed:

  • There are tons of sheep just on the side of the road here. It's actually really cute and makes you feel like you're in the country.
  • People here are so polite, like all the time, and especially guys. Apparently, chivalry didn't die in the UK. 
  • Going to the pub or drinking happens every night and it's totally casual. Luckily I don't like beer otherwise I would come back with the "study abroad 15".
  • There's not really one style of dress here. Hopefully I'll have another blog coming soon devoted to just this subject. 
  • You have to pay for grocery carts here...well, it's more like paying a deposit and you get your pound back when you put the cart back but still. 
  • People here actually do say "Cheers!" all the time. And I absolutely love it!!!
  • There is a pound store which is just like a dollar store except it has all kinds of things you actually want and only for 1 pound. I was in heaven!
Well, tomorrow we're heading into London to go exploring and do some sightseeing so I'm sure I'll have plenty more exciting things to tell and show you. Until then, cheers!

1 comment: