Thursday, January 3, 2013

Getting There is Half the Fun



Well, I didn’t think I was going to be writing another blog post until later this weekend but due to unforeseen circumstances I had the opportunity to write this mostly at the airport and then finish it tonight. To say my travel here was hectic would be an understatement. 

I got to the airport nice and early and got through check-in and security without any problems. Saying goodbye to my family was definitely the hardest and there were a lot of tears but by the time I got to the gate I was actually feeling okay about it.

We got on the plane and were pleased to hear that due to wind flows (or something like that) we would actually arrive over an hour early. This would have been awesome if we could actually get off the ground. 

Unfortunately, because of mechanical problems after sitting on the plane for an hour they told us we would have to de-board and switch to another plane. However, it then took them another two hours to get the second plane up and running and board us on that one. Overall, a three hour delay to my flight was not the way I imagined starting off my adventures abroad.

Fast-forward to this morning we did wind up landing after only six hours of flying, however, we were still two hours later than expected. Because of this I couldn't find the student guide that was supposed to collect us and bring us to the shuttle. I wound up spending about two hours wandering the airport trying to find him and luckily I finally did. 

The rest of the day was spent trying to navigate campus with my two huge suitcases, carry-on and heavy backpack, until I finally got my room key and made it to my flat. 

On a positive note, everything since then has been great. My flat is super nice! I have my own bedroom with a full size bed and my own private bathroom. Also, I've already unpacked most of my stuff and only have half a suitcase left. Here are some pictures.







Also one of the weirdest things I've noticed so far is that the lights in my room will only turn on when I put my room key in this scanner and leave it there. I guess it's one way to make sure we turn off the lights when we leave the room. 




Well, that's about it for now. I just wanted to let you know that I'm all settled in and made it through my own personal travel hell. Now to get some sleep before my first day of orientation tomorrow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment